Voith Resigns From UC Post

By Alexander D. Blankfein, Crimson Staff Writer

Former Undergraduate Council (UC) presidential candidate John F. Voith ’07 resigned from the council last night in an e-mail over the UC open list.

“After discussion with the new leadership, I’ve realized that the best way for me to help campus is in positions outside of the UC,” said Voith in the e-mail.

Voith’s announcement follows the resignation of his former running mate, Tara Gadgil ’07.

Gadgil, who also served as the chair of the Student Affairs Committee last semester, also announced her resignation over the UC open list, writing that she had decided to go abroad to India for the spring semester.

“Although I have been thinking about studying/volunteering abroad for a long time, other priorities came above doing this—now I find myself in a position where I can take advantage of this opportunity,” Gadgil wrote in December.

In an interview last night, Voith said that he also wanted to explore other opportunities.

“I have other interests that I haven’t necessarily been able to pursue as CLC [Campus Life Committee] chair,” he said. “When you are on the UC, you stick to your committee. The beginning of the semester is a good time in the year to evaluate my life on campus. In talking to some of the new leadership in the council, I feel like I can be as effective or more effective outside of the council.”

Voith, who served as CLC chair last semester, said that he would remain active in social programming, and would serve on a social programming committee organized by UC President John H. Haddock ‘07 and UC Vice President Annie R. Riley ’07.

Voith’s resignation marked the departure of the last remaining presidential and vice-presidential candidates on the council.

Magnus Grimeland ’07 was expelled from the council during reading period because of unexcused absences. Tom D. Hadfield ’08, Grimeland’s running mate, was never on the council, although he is currently running to fill a vacant seat in Eliot House.

Although they were considered to be the “insider” ticket, Voith and Gadgil came in a disappointing third in December’s election after a campaign that was marked by several flashes of controversy.

In the second week of the election, The Crimson obtained an e-mail from a Voith-Gadgil staffer to a member of the Grimeland-Hadfield campaign, asking Grimeland and Hadfield to drop out of the race and “join forces” against Haddock and Riley.

Later in the week, the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, and Supporters Alliance and the Harvard Republican Club issued a joint statement condemning Voith and Gadgil for making contradictory statements to their respective groups about the role of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps on campus.

The Crimson originally endorsed Voith and Gadgil but rescinded that endorsement several days later.

Despite the bitter election, Voith expressed his confidence in Haddock’s leadership yesterday, though he questioned the direction of the council.

“I think that John Haddock is very capable of fulfilling those things that he outlined in his platform,” Voith said. “In terms of what the UC should be doing, I think that is something that students across campus would disagree with.”

—Staff writer Alexander D. Blankfein can be reached at ablankf@fas.harvard.edu.