Alaskan ‘Klub’ Cooks Out on MAC Quad

Bonfire, late-night streaking make for first camp out

By Amy E. Heberle, Contributing Writer

After raising the Alaskan flag in front of Kirkland House last night, the Alaska “Klub” of Harvard pitched their tents in the Malkin Athletic Center Quad, where Jell-o was still drying on the grass from Saturday’s gelatin wrestling event. The club had a long agenda planned for their first annual camp-out, ranging from the traditional bonfire and s’mores to a fly-fishing course and a late-night streaking expedition.

The event was officially called “The First-Annual Denali National Park Appreciation Camp-Out” in honor of the Alaskan national park.

“We thought that it would be appropriate to celebrate Camp Denali with this event,” said Kenneth W. McKinley ’08, treasurer of the Alaska Klub and an organizer of the event.

Many of those in attendance were not Alaskans by birth, according to McKinley, who himself hails from Pennsylvania. “I’m actually an Alaska-phile,” he said.

The group laid down a tarp about 20 feet from the Jell-o and erected four tents. They then looked for a saw to cut up boards for the bonfire; the boards were left over from the Human Iditarod, an event organized by the club earlier this year.

The students also said they intended to rise at dawn to celebrate May Day.

Abigail W. Darby ’08, who worked on planning the camp-out with McKinley, said she enjoys working with the Alaska Club.

“Lots of crazy ideas are out there, but the Alaska Klub makes them happen,” she said.