SPORTS BRIEF: Softball sends six to All-Ivy teams, including top pitcher and rookie

By The Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Junior Shelly Madick was unanimously selected to the All-Ivy first team yesterday, along with freshman Lauren Murphy and senior shorttop Lauren Brown.

Senior second baseman Julia Kidder and freshman centerfielder Stephanie earned second team All-Ivy nods, while freshman third baseman Melissa Schellberg received honorable mention honors.

Madick, who was also selected as the conference’s Pitcher of the Year, is the third player in Havard history to be named the Ivy League’s top hurler. She is 16-4 this season, just two wins shy of the all-time mark for wins in Crimson history.

Murphy becomes just the second Ivy League Rookie of the Year Harvard has ever seen, after hitting a league-record 18 home runs and matching or setting single-game league marks in both home runs and total bases with three and 15, respectively. Her .858 slugging percentage, on pace to set another team record, comes in addition to a team-leading .359 batting average.

The Ivy League champion Crimson will travel to Hofstra on Friday for the team’s third appearance in the NCAA tournament. Harvard will compete in the Hempstead Regional.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Softball