CCL Discusses Crisis, Student Life

By Chelsea L. Shover and Weiqi Zhang, Crimson Staff Writers

The Committee on College Life debriefed the Harvard-Yale Game yesterday in a meeting that also touched on how student activities will be affected by the financial crisis.

While Dean of Student Activities Judith H. Kidd did not specify any plans, she said after the meeting that her office would be examining priorities in light of current market turmoil. Kidd said that the ultimate goal would be to continue facilitating a “vibrant extracurricular life.”

In a meeting of the full Faculty of Arts and Sciences yesterday afternoon, FAS Dean Michael D. Smith predicted that FAS—which the College falls under—would face an economic shortfall of at least $100 million next year.

The committee also discussed the tailgate report put out by the Student Activities Office. The report outlined successes, including a “safe and fun” student tailgate area, and shortcomings, with recommendations for the 2010 Game. According to the report, there were 4,700 free tickets made available for the undergraduate population of approximately 6,700.

Though the number of available tickets was higher than previous years, Alyssa M. Aguilera ’08-’09, a student representative on CCL, said after the meeting that a shortage led students to scalp tickets to their classmates.

The committee recommended maintaining the same tailgate location at Beren tennis courts but with more signs directing students. Other concerns included the early closing of the food tent provided by the Harvard University Dining Services.

Another issue presented was the shortage of undergraduate student groups at the tailgate, which was dominated by House Committees. “We didn’t do enough to help the student organizations get a place,” Kidd said after the meeting.

Many student groups also found it difficult to hold events the evening before The Game.

Black Men’s Forum President Sangu J. Delle ’10, who co-sponsored last week’s Undergraduate Council legislation on social events, said at the time that his organization was unable to hold an event during Harvard-Yale weekend.

The 12 undergraduate Houses had varying degrees of restrictions on the number of parties that would be allowed on Friday, including prohibiting room parties in Currier.

In an interview in the week after The Game, Haining Gouinlock ’07, program coordinator for student events and activities, said the Student Life Office had approached HoCos about hosting a large dining hall event, but ultimately all the HoCos declined.

Discussion about the pep rally—which ended when headline act Girl Talk was forced to end his performance early by Harvard University Police Department concerns over crowd control—focused on the event as a learning experience.

—Staff writer Chelsea L. Shover can be reached at clshover@fas.harvard.edu.