Undergraduate Assaulted Near Leverett House

By Nan Ni, Crimson Staff Writer

In the third assault on an undergraduate since reading period began, a male student was the victim of a violent attack while walking near Leverett House at nine o’clock on yesterday morning, according to the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD).

The victim reported that he was tackled from behind and assaulted by an unknown individual on Grant Street near Banks Street. After fighting back, he was able to flee the area.

The victim described his alleged attacker as a Hispanic male in his twenties, approximately 5’8” with a medium build.

The suspect also had a light goatee and a prominent scar on his forehead, and was wearing a blue puffy jacket with a fur-lined hood, light blue jeans, and black sneakers at the time of attack, according to the victim.

This incident is the third in a crime-heavy month.

Earlier in the month, a female student was attacked while leaving Lamont Library by an unidentified male who approached her from behind and wrapped a thin wire around her neck. The victim was able to escape, but the incident raised considerable alarm as news of the attack spread through campus mailing lists.

On May 11, a male undergraduate suffered a dislocated shoulder after two men jumped out of a car and attacked him as he was walking down Plympton St, according to the HUPD police log and the Cambridge Chronicle.

—Staff Writer Nan Ni can be reached at nni@fas.harvard.edu.

View Larger Map