Going It Alone

Hubris has become our greatest safety threat

By Molly M. Strauss, None

As students returned to campus more than two weeks ago, the e-mail onslaught had already begun. But amidst club announcements and entryway meeting notifications, another, more troubling piece of mail arrived in each of our inboxes: a “Community Advisory” reporting an unarmed robbery in Cambridge Common.

For many of us, this was far from breaking news. We attend college in an urban environment on the outskirts of a major city. Minor crime comes with the territory—and we grow used to hearing about the occasional iPod theft or late night assault. I, for one, didn’t pay much attention to that first warning on September 12.

But since then, three more “Community Advisories” have arrived—one detailing an incident involving a handgun. That got me thinking. One evening I decided against strolling to Lamont, knowing that the return journey would require me to walk back to the River in the dark, alone.

Those of us who bother to skim the “Community Advisories” usually skip the last three paragraphs—which always offer the same strategies for staying safe. We’re warned not to talk on cell phones or listen to iPods as we make our way home, and to remain in well-lit areas as often as possible. If we notice any suspicious individuals, we should call for help immediately. Most of all, HUPD instructs each of us to “trust your instincts.”

Many of us write off these tips as nothing more than common sense. It’s easy to assume that the victims of theft somehow bring it upon themselves, by making reckless decisions or failing to notice signs of impending danger. Many of us remain convinced that we have nothing to worry about—we would never be caught in such a vulnerable position.

As a result of this attitude, Harvard services, intended to keep us safe, remain far under-utilized. In Dean Hammonds’ response to the three robberies, she reminded us of the Harvard University Campus Escort Program (HUCEP). From 10:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. (and 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday), volunteers remain on call to walk home any Harvard affiliate who dials their hotline. According to HUPD spokesman Steven Catalano, on average only 10-12 people request an escort each month—about two to three per week.

For many Harvard students, admitting they need help in any aspect of their lives is equivalent to failing completely. Blame it on our training: We’ve grown accustomed to solving problems entirely on our own, because doing so proves to ourselves and others that we’re capable, effective individuals.

Some Harvard undergraduates probably do believe that their capacities are limitless. But the majority—from what I can tell—boast only to shield themselves from their own shortcomings. Many refuse to use the Writing Center even when, draft after draft, they fail to get their point across. Some students struggling with the mental adjustment to Harvard won’t even consider seeking help from the Bureau of Study Council. Many of us—myself included—pretend that we’ve got everything handled because, really, we’re terribly afraid that we don’t.

In light of the several recent crimes close to home, it seems clear that students walking through Cambridge at night are not, in fact, entirely adept at keeping themselves safe. This is not to say that we should live our lives in constant fear of silent attackers. But if we hope to prevent further violence in the future, we must recognize the reality of safety on and near campus. Yes, it’s easy to blame the victims—until that victim is you.

Ultimately, the stigma against HUCEP seems like poor justification for walking alone when you feel unsafe. If the thought of being seen alongside a neon-vested escort sounds mortifying, ask yourself why. None of us can realistically expect to go through life in complete self-sufficiency, and refusing to consider help as an option seems foolish at best. We are lucky to attend a university that provides us with services for the times when we simply shouldn’t go it alone. But it’s up to us to accept that help, and be wise enough to know when we need it.

Molly M. Strauss ‘11, a Crimson editorial editor, lives in Winthrop House.