The Nanny Diaries

Who else but the Nanny would roll into Lamont at four on a Saturday afternoon decked out in knee-high boots,
By Catherine J. Zielinski

Who else but the Nanny would roll into Lamont at four on a Saturday afternoon decked out in knee-high boots, dark sunglasses, and a fur coat? No one, of course, but Fran Drescher herself.

Drescher came to speak to the crowd in the Lamont Forum Room about her experience as a cancer survivor and her book, “Cancer Schmancer.”

“I’ve reinvented myself since ‘The Nanny,’” Drescher explained. “I am a uterine cancer survivor, but it took me two years and eight doctors to get a proper diagnosis.”

The actress, author, and activist discussed the importance of awareness and early diagnosis and described the experience of finding out she had uterine cancer.

She recalled, “I told my boyfriend, ‘we have to freeze an embryo!’ The doctor had me convinced I had 15 minutes of fertility left, and this with the boyfriend who’s 16 years younger. Needless to say, we’re no longer together.”

Michael B. Hess ’09, the former treasurer of the Lampoon, coordinated the event, bringing Drescher to Harvard through family ties.

“She’s coming to be indicted as an honorary member of the Lampoon tonight,” Hess said. “Her movement is inspiring and informative for everyone to learn about.”

Former Lampoon President Christopher R. Schleicher ’09 agreed with Hess.

“It was good to hear her message and see her serious side. Me and ‘The Nanny’ go way back,” Schleicher said. “I am hoping for the biggest Nanny party tonight I’ve ever been to.”

Dressed to party indeed, Drescher left in good spirits with some final words of wisdom.

“Always consult multiple physicians, and never be afraid to ask questions,” Drescher said. “One of my doctors basically told me, ‘Honey, you’ve got the tits of an 18-year-old—you’re fine. Just drink some gin every night.’ There I was with perky breasts going to bed sloshed. Never be afraid to ask questions and to question your doctors themselves—they’re not always right.”