Love it: Slutty Halloween Costumes

Halloween is the only day of the year when it’s perfectly acceptable to look like a total skank.
By Rachel T. Lipson

Think about that statement. When else is it okay for a female to literally wear anything she desires, without facing judgment?

In this day and age, we—as women—like to think of ourselves as liberated; we like to believe that we can wear whatever we want, wherever we want. But everyone knows that this isn’t really the case.

Except on Halloween. No one will even blink twice as you parade down Mass. Ave., no matter how miniscule your skirt or low-cut your top.  If someone is to bat an eye—well, an even-teenier skirt is probably on the way.

And not only will no one judge you for wearing as little clothing as possible, you can also get some great bargains.  Paying $9.99 to morph into a sexy feline for the night? That sure is a lot cheaper than plastic surgery.

Meanwhile, at a place like Harvard, it’s not often that service industry jobs outside of finance and consulting get much love. But when it comes to Halloween, police officers, fire fighters, nurses, maids, and flight attendants are the professions of choice.

But it’s not just on the female side of the spectrum: Boys in scantily clad construction worker outfits can appear just as slutty. Isn’t it time that we at Harvard represent something other than Wall Street? Slutty Halloween costumes are all about bringing sexy back to Main Street.

Best of all, on Halloween, dressing like a slut doesn’t mean you actually are one.

For The Moment