Networks Need 'Give-Get' Ratio, Execs Say

Tom Mohanan, Chief Executive Officer of the Corporate Executive Board Company, discusses network formation, its obstacles and advantages at "Using Leadership Networks: A Conversation with Tom Mohanan" on Monday 22 November. The moderator Larissa West led the conversation with pre-gathered questions and open discussion.
By Ricky Liu, Contributing Writer

Thomas L. Monahan ’88, chief executive of the Corporate Executive Board, spoke on developing networks and building successful professional and personal relationships in an event sponsored by the Leadership Institute at Harvard College last night.

The discussion, titled “Using Leadership Networks,” was moderated by Harvard Business School student and LIHC Board of Advisors member Larissa J. West.

During the discussion, Monahan emphasized the purpose of a network is not only to find others who can help aid one’s career advancement, but also to connect a group of people who will be personally invested in one’s overall development and progress.

The relationships within a network should not just be one-sided, Monahan added, saying the best way to establish a positive rapport with an individual in a network is to reciprocate interests.

“The worst time to meet someone new for the first time is when you need something from them,” Monahan said. “The people in your network need to trust you, need to have a vested interest in you.”

Monahan also focused on the idea that a good network never arises from the efforts of one person.

Derek Van Bever, who works with Monahan as chief research officer at the Corporate Executive Board, chimed into last night’s discussion to emphasize the power of group work.

“The main purpose of your network is to ensure that you are not alone,” Van Bever said. “There will be people wrestling with the same problems as you, but you will also have peers with solutions to these issues.”

“A good network must have the perfect give-get ratio,” Monahan said at the close of last night’s event. “You must develop the personal principles of trust and balance with these people. If you form these bonds with your network, they will always be behind you, working towards your success.”

Karen L. Ding ’12, chairperson of the Leadership Development Initiative and one of the event’s organizers, praised Monahan and the Corporate Executive Board’s development of the networking process, highlighting its relevance to Harvard students.

“Here at Harvard especially, we feel that leaders of student organizations can really be one another’s best teachers, in terms of sharing best practices, collaboration,” Ding said. “What Monahan and the Corporate Executive Board have done is really perfect this art of networking and mutual support, and that’s a capability that is so relevant to Harvard students.”

Harvard Business School