Three Admins Named To FAS

By Noah S. Rayman and Elyssa A. L. Spitzer, Crimson Staff Writers

Three veteran administrators—two Harvard affiliates and a former member of Massachusetts state government—assumed positions in the top ranks of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences’ financial administration earlier this month. The appointments come as FAS looks to pare down its budget, which still rests $80 million in the red.

In an e-mail statement, FAS Dean of Administration and Finance Leslie A. Kirwan ’79 announced that interim Associate Dean for Finance Eric Kopstain and interim Associate Dean for Physical Resources and Planning Michael N. Lichten will now assume these positions full-time.

Kirwan also announced that Maryann Bradley, a former assistant secretary in Massachusetts’  Executive Office for Administration and Finance, will take on the position of FAS Associate Dean for Administrative Operations.

In their newly permanent positions, Kopstain, Lichten, and Bradley report directly to Kirwan, who wrote in the e-mail announcement that she was glad to “have recognized the talent and capabilities that exist in abundance within our FAS community, while also bringing in fresh perspectives from the public sector” in making these three appointments.

According to FAS Spokesperson Jeff A. Neal, there are no plans to replace the former positions of the new deans, leaving two administrative positions off the payroll.

Arriving from 20 years of public service, Bradley will take charge of FAS-wide initiatives as the school implements long term responses to the recent budget crisis, according to Kirwan.

“She brings a wealth of administrative and finance experience to her new role at the FAS,” Kirwan wrote, referring to Bradley’s work for the state.

Kopstain had been serving as a temporary replacement for former associate dean Deena Giancotti since November, when Giancotti left the position to work in the private sector.

Kopstain arrived at Harvard in 2005, following nearly two decades in budget administration at Dartmouth and Northwestern University. When Giancotti departed, Kopstain, who was then director of the budget, undertook her responsibilities in addition to his own.

Lichten came to Harvard in 1981 after a brief career as a publ0ic school English teacher. Upon arriving he worked on a program to make FAS more energy efficient and has since overseen building operations and maintenance, as well as environmental health and safety.

In his new post, Lichten is responsible for a budget that is “considerably” over $100 million, he said. Although “we’re not building any new buildings right now” because of the current financial situation, plans for future construction are in the works, Lichten said.

FAS Associate Dean Robert G. Doyle praised both of his colleagues who are stepping into their positions full-time.

“Eric [Kopstain]’s a really sharp guy,” Doyle said. “He takes the time to understand and to share the concerns of the operation.”

Doyle also said that his experience with Lichten dates back to 1986. From their work together on the University’s 350th anniversary, “It was clear that he was somebody who knew what he was doing,” Doyle said of Lichten.

University administrators provided little information on the searches to fill these three vacant positions, though information about the openings was posted online for applicants.

“They probably looked to see who else is interested [in the positions] and decided, ‘You know, we have the best candidates right here’,” Doyle said.

—Staff writer Noah S. Rayman can be reached at nrayman@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Elyssa A.L. Spitzer can be reached at spitzer@fas.harvard.edu.

FAS