Two Sides of Taste

Like many Harvard students, the new Adams House Head Chef juggles multiple commitments. Jerome R. Picca is not only dedicated ...
By Jessica N. Nieto

Like many Harvard students, the new Adams House Head Chef juggles multiple commitments. Jerome R. Picca is not only dedicated to satiating the appetites of Adams residents—he also works to satisfy locals on a budget at his tapas bar, Small Plates, which is located at 56 JFK Street. Last Wednesday, the successful entrepreneur was invited to speak in front of a packed Fong Auditorium at an event entitled “The Art (and Taste) of Leadership.”

As he explained at the panel, Picca arrived in Cambridge three years ago with the goal of providing an elegant dining experience. A tapas bar, he said, would allow him to offer unique dishes that wouldn’t cost a fortune.

In October, the restaurateur—who has worked in the business for over 14 years—embarked on a new culinary adventure: HUHDS. When asked how he manages his two positions, Picca explained: “For me, it’s all about trusting my employees ... It’s what allows me to be here [at Harvard].”

The Head Chef at Small Plates, Ronald D. Hancock, commented that this arrangement “allows for us all to work well together and be very creative in our dishes.”

The Harvard name attracts not only students but HUHDS employees as well. “Harvard has a great food service program,” Picca said. “There’s a lot of room for personal growth and a large, supportive community of students and staff.”

Providing food for thousands of students is a daunting task. But for the HUHDS staff, Picca explained, it is also seen as a way to add value to students’ lives—and chefs are always looking for ways to improve the experience and accommodate everyone.

Quincy House Chef Salvatore Uccello agreed that satisfying students is the most gratifying part of the job.  “We want to make them happy and keep smiles on their faces because, for us, that’s what it’s all about,” he said.

For The MomentFTM