A New Universe for "Eurydice"

By Abby L. Noyes, Contributing Writer

The Harvard Radcliffe Dramatic Club’s production of “Eurydice,” which opens today at the Loeb Ex at 7:30 p.m., finds its roots in the classical age, but is anything but ancient.  The play, written by Sarah Ruhl and directed by Madeleine F. Bersin ’14, is meant to breathe new life into the old tale.

“It takes something that everyone is familiar with and puts a twist on it. It’s not what you expect,” Bersin says. “It’s kind of an American take on this in a big way…. There’s something very ‘at home’ about this version.”

This play reinvigorates the classic myth of “Eurydice” with a reimagined plotline and infuses it with themes that are relevant to a modern audience.

“A huge theme in this play is moving on or lacking the ability to move on,” says Bryan D. Kauder ’14, who plays Orpheus. “I think that literally every character in this show struggles with that, even the stones.”

Talking stones are just one new and bold aspect of the universe in which “Eurydice” takes place. The staging too is unusual; the entire play takes place in two distinct realms, an overworld and an underworld, both of which are visible on the stage. At times actors can be seen performing in both worlds, with the actions of the overworld occasionally spilling into the space below.

Regardless of audience expectations or reactions, Bersin maintains that “Eurydice” strays from its mythical origin, merging the serious subjects of identity and understanding with an atmosphere that invites the audience to laugh.

“It kind of speaks its own language,” says Bersin. “You come in here, and you’re going to come along for the ride.”

On CampusTheaterCampus Arts