‘Boy Erased’ Is Not Easy to Watch, But That’s a Good Thing

Dir. Joel Edgerton—4 STARS

Nicole Kidman and Lucas Hedges star in "Boy Erased" (2018), directed by Joel Edgerton.
Nicole Kidman and Lucas Hedges star in "Boy Erased" (2018), directed by Joel Edgerton. By Courtesy of Focus Features
By Hunter T. Baldwin, Contributing Writer

Films that focus on issues within the LGBTQ+ community face a unique conundrum in which the topics that are the most politically pertinent also center on the darkest themes. Queer fans, in particular, are then torn between the desire to see people like themselves get happy endings, and the desire to show the world the harsh realities they face. Although there are romantic comedies like “Love, Simon,” there are also somber dramas like “Brokeback Mountain.” “Boy Erased” certainly falls into the latter category. Aside from one awkward joke about misspelling “God” as “Dog,” director Joel Edgerton brings almost nothing to the table in terms of heartfelt moments or comic relief. Instead, Edgerton confronts viewers with a harsh reality, one that he does not sugarcoat or beautify simply to make it more palatable. Films like this almost invariably provide commentary on issues that persist today — in this case, the continued presence of gay conversion camps — and have the ultimate intention of stirring emotions that should ultimately lead to political action, rather than entertaining. Though its impact certainly falls short of a first person account of such tragic events, Edgerton succeeds in providing unforgettable insights into the relationship between Christianity, homophobia, and the mental health of queer youth.

“I wish this had never happened. But sometimes I thank God that it did.” These words, the first spoken by the film’s protagonist Jared (Lucas Hedges), hint at the many directions in which he will be pulled by his sexuality and the attitudes of those around him. The film begins in medias res, as a college-age Jared endures his first day at a Christian conversion therapy camp. Through several flashbacks, Edgerton conveys the series of events that led to Jared being sent there, including two relationships he had with men in the past, as well as his coming out to his conservative parents. Meanwhile, at the camp, Jared and other boys like him withstand both emotional and physical abuse in the name of repressing their “sinful” feelings. As the days go by, this abuse worsens and intensifies, forcing Jared’s mother (Nicole Kidman) to make a decision over what she values most: her church’s teachings on the “sinful” nature of homosexuality, or the wellbeing of her only son.

In addition to the parent-son relationship, Edgerton takes a risk by delving into the one of the most complex relationships depicted in this film, and other films of its type: that between Christianity and homosexuality. This risk pays off, thanks to Edgerton’s multifaceted consideration of the issue. First and foremost, the two are pitted against each other. The various acts of homophobia that Jared encounters stem largely from someone’s intense religious beliefs. For example, in a poignant scene in which Jared’s position at the table during a family prayer evokes Judas in da Vinci's “The Last Supper,” the cinematography belies the family’s belief that homosexuality entails the betrayal of God. This exemplifies the continued tension between Christianity and homosexuality.

This tension is a staple theme of LGBTQ+ films, yet one that Edgerton complicates further. Edgerton’s depiction of specific individuals of Christian faith, as opposed to the religion itself, as the perpetrators of homophobia is what makes this film go beyond mere criticism of a group. As a core Christian value, compassion ought to lead to the acceptance of homosexuality, yet Edgerton shows the way in which the value can be insidiously misused. The extreme contrast between the conditions at the camp and the intentions of those running it exemplifies this, as the counselors at the camp use compassion to justify the emotional manipulation of those attending. Along the lines of the oft-quoted “Love the sinner, not the sin” philosophy, the leaders at the camp continually emphasize the fact that the attendees are good people at heart who have simply made sinful mistakes in the past. “I am using sexual sin and homosexuality to fill a God-shaped hole in my life,” the attendees are made to recite when they first arrive. “But I’m not broken, and God still loves me.”

Perhaps most hopeful, in the depressing context of Christianity misrepresented as a tool for homophobia, is the indication that Christianity and homosexuality can live on hand in hand. Prior to being sent to the camp, Jared meets with a medical professional (Cherry Jones) to get his testosterone levels tested. In one of the more wholesome scenes in the movie, she tells Jared that as both a Christian and a doctor who holds “science in one hand, and God in the other,” she believes that he is “a perfectly normal, very healthy teenage boy.” This effectively positions the film as a call for unity that relies on inspiration rather than defamation in order to combat the suffering of a marginalized group.

Despite these insights, the weakest parts of the film come from its inability to access Jared’s thoughts, thus failing to provide a first person account of events. In many ways, the ability to understand exactly how someone feels when facing oppression is the most effective tool in creating the empathy necessary to inspire political action. Although Edgerton captures Jared’s outward emotions via dialogue, his quiet demeanor and the lack of narration mean that his interiority still hovers slightly out of reach.

Still, the film does manage to make a splash in its own ways. The film medium provides the ability to add additional layers that bolster the storytelling. Namely, the riveting Troye Sivan-centered soundtrack, in addition to carrying the emotional lived experience of a queer artist, adds an auditory component that represents the film’s themes. “Revelation,” the end credits song, still resonates even after exiting the theater.

The conversion therapy issue is one that is, unfortunately, still in discussion today, particular in relation to Vice President Mike Pence’s endorsement of treatment for people “seeking to change their sexual behavior.” As Americans debate the intentions of politicians like Pence, this film shows that, no matter the intentions, these conversion therapy camps can have devastating effects on the wellbeing of the LGBTQ+ community. Overall, these factors makes “Boy Erased” a worthwhile emotional experience that examines the systematic and misunderstood oppressions that queer people face in America.

FilmArts