This Year in Fashion: The Twenties (The 1920s, I Mean)

Fashions for young Flappers in San Francisco, circa 1920.
Fashions for young Flappers in San Francisco, circa 1920. By Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
By Alexis J. Boo, Crimson Staff Writer

The end of 2019 means more than just the beginning of a new decade – it means the Roaring Twenties are back in full swing. When we think of the popular culture of this time period, we might imagine the flourishing art scene of the Harlem Renaissance and jazz music or the birth of feature films and dance clubs. While we can’t necessarily reinvent these cultural shifts today, we can pretend we’re living the high life of the Twenties by dressing the part, and take some fashion inspiration and Charleston into the New Year.

1. Flapper Dress

What’s the Twenties without a dress to shimmy in? Flappers were young women of the 1920s who rebelled against stereotypes of feminine behavior in favor of activities like drinking, driving cars, and dismissing sexual norms. French designer Coco Chanel greatly influenced the classic dress we know today with her fresh, boyish styles. Original flapper dresses are known for their sleeveless, knee-length silhouette with a straight, drop waist that deemphasized the female figure. These dresses tended to flatten the bust and performed a functional role to the wearer with its loose design, allowing for a greater range of motion.

2. Cloche Hat

Keep your noggin warm this winter with a chic cloche hat! These bell-shaped hats (“cloche” is French for bell) paired well with the cropped haircuts women flaunted during the 1920s. Because these hats tend to sit low on the forehead, they have an extra warmth-factor to them. While often made of felt, the materials varied — sometimes, people wore straw cloches in the summer or beaded ones for a night of dancing. Cloches also became a medium for artistic expression as the Art Deco movement took off. Some hats had jeweled brooches, feathers, embroidery, or ribbons. These ribbons could even be fashioned into different bows or knots that indicated the relationship status of the wearer.

3. Red Lipstick

The 1920s also ushered in industrial advances, some of which revolutionized the makeup industry. The 1915 invention of the metal lipstick container revolutionized the application of lip products. New, longer-lasting stains and glosses became available, likely popularized by film actresses. Makeup users especially enjoyed accentuating the cupid’s bow of the lips with extra crisp lines. Katy Perry can thank the twenties for her positive experience in “I Kissed A Girl” – cherry-flavored lipstick was also invented during this time period.

4. Oxford Bags

After Oxford University’s administration banned knickerbockers (baggy pants that gathered at the knee), young British men skirted around the rule by wearing trousers that fit over them comfortably. These extra loose, wide-legged pants are known as Oxford bags. Oxford bags became a trendy fashion item for men, especially those in Ivy League universities, who learned of the style through studying abroad. College-aged men in America popularized the style enough for United States president Calvin Coolidge to take notice of them, although he said he “wouldn’t be caught dead” wearing them! These pants fit normally around the waist, but their cuffs could have a circumference as wide as 44 inches.

As we tango into 2020, take time to reflect upon the fashion from a hundred years ago and perhaps reinvent your style for your New Year’s resolution. Jay Gatsby is surely rolling in his grave, yearning to throw the most epic New Year’s party to commemorate.

—Staff writer Alexis J. Boo can be reached at alexis.boo@thecrimson.com.

ArtsCulture