Magic of Numbers: Weekend Previews

By Kevin T. Chen, Crimson Staff Writer

Each Thursday, The Crimson will compile a series of unique statistics about Harvard's sports scene. Welcome to the Magic of Numbers—without the problem sets. We'll do the math for you.

LOOKING AHEAD: FOOTBALL

18 — Number of points scored by Harvard last year in a 35-18 loss to Lafayette. The Crimson will take on the Leopards this Saturday at noon in Easton, PA.

14 — Number of points scored by Harvard in its loss to Brown last week.

2 — Number of overtimes played between Lafayette and Princeton last week. The Tigers eventually prevailed 36-33, handing the Leopards its third loss of the season.

1 — Win Lafayette head coach Frank Tavani has against Harvard. In his eleventh season, he holds a 1-8 record all-time against the Crimson.

BUSY WEEKEND FOR FIELD HOCKEY

2 — Games the Harvard field hockey team will play in as many days this weekend. The Crimson will travel to Providence, R.I., to take on Brown before coming back to Jordan Field to play Bucknell.

1 — Goals allowed by Harvard in two games of Ancient Eight play, good enough to tie with Princeton for top defense in the League.

90 — Save percentage for sophomore goalkeeper Cynthia Tassopoulos.

THE GAME, WOMEN’S SOCCER EDITION

3 — Number of wins apiece for the Harvard and Yale women’s soccer teams entering this weekend’s match-up between the two teams at Ohiri Field.

13 — Number of goals the Crimson has scored so far this season.

3 — Number of times junior Melanie Baskind has scored in the last two games. Not surprisingly, Baskind was tabbed as the latest Ivy League Player of the Week.

Field HockeyFootballWomen's SoccerSports Blog