Curry to Undergo Surgery

Brandyn Curry, a two-time Ivy Rookie of the Week this season, will undergo surgery Wednesday.
By Dennis J. Zheng, Crimson Staff Writer

He led all Ivy freshmen in assists, steals, and three-point shooting percentage. But perhaps the most impressive thing about guard Brandyn Curry's rookie season—a year in which he earned an honorable-mention All-Ivy selection from Basketball-U.com while twice being named Ivy League Rookie of the Week—was that he was playing hurt.

Curry said today that he plans to undergo surgery Wednesday to repair a torn left patellar tendon—an injury suffered at the end of his senior year at Hopewell High (N.C.).

Nonetheless, Curry gutted it out this past season, getting action in all 29 of the Crimson's games.

"It couldn't get better, and it couldn't get any worse," Curry said of the ailment.

The point guard estimated he was playing at about 80% his freshman year, as the injury affected his responsibilities on defense and his jumping ability significantly.

"For instance, the worst was guarding Louis Dale or Kemba Walker on a crossover," Curry said. "My first-step explosion, changing direction was a lot slower than normal, and I couldn't really jump."

Towards the end of the 2009-10 season, the condition worsened, as Curry began to compensate by placing more pressure on his right knee.

He expects to be out for at least 4-6 weeks after the operation.

"I know I can't run for at least three weeks," Curry said, expressing hopes of working out during the summer.

Men's BasketballSports Blog