Casey Signs First Pro Contract With Slovenian Club

By Juliet Spies-Gans, Crimson Staff Writer

It looks like Kyle Casey ’13-14 will be the defensive anchor of a new team this season.

According to a press release issued Friday morning, the former men’s basketball standout will be taking his talents to central Slovenia. Casey will be joining KK Helios Suns Domžale of the Premier A Slovenian League for the 2014-2015 campaign. He will take the court for the first time against Portoroz on Oct. 11.

Casey, who was listed as 6’7” on the Crimson’s roster, will find himself surrounded by fellow big men on his new squad. The forward will be one of eight Helios Suns players at least 6’6” tall, a marked difference from the undersized Harvard lineup in which Casey played center his senior year.

This past season, Casey proved his worth to the Crimson on the defensive end. The former Ivy League Rookie of the Year grabbed 5.6 rebounds and collected 1.2 blocks per game, second on the squad in both categories. Casey also tallied 1.3 dimes per contest, the most of any big man.

While Casey will be based in Domžale, his main competition will hail from the southeast—in the form of BC Krka, which has won the league’s last five championships—and from the capital—in the form of KK Union Olimpija, the team which has made the Premier A finals in every year but one since the turn of the century.

The news of the signing comes just two weeks after Casey’s former teammate Brandyn Curry ’13-14 inked a deal with SPM Shoeters Den Bosch of the Dutch Basketball League.

Men's BasketballSports Blog