Athlete of the Week Runners-Up: Week of 9/21

Junior wideout Andrew Fischer had a career day against Brown, catching 12 passes for 115 yards and a score.
By Henry Scott, Contributing Writer

Though men's soccer's Andrew Chang netted Athlete of the Week honors this week, here were some other performances that garner recognition.

Andrew Fischer, Football

Fischer had a career game in the Crimson’s Ivy League opener against Brown on Saturday. The junior scored his first touchdown of the season with 2:11 left in the opening quarter.

Losing his marker and fading out into the far corner of the end zone, the receiver caught junior quarterback Scott Hosch’s lofted nine-yard pass, handing the Crimson an early 6-0 lead. Then, late in the fourth quarter with the Crimson holding onto a two-point lead, Fischer came up with three critical receptions, including one on a third and 12 deep in Crimson territory, as the team marched down almost the entirety of the  field for a touchdown.

The Crimson ended up winning, 22-14, and Fischer finished the game with 12 receptions and 115 yards—both career highs.

Midge Purce, Women’s Soccer

After starting the season with two goals in seven games, Purce has returned to conference play in the same form that earned her Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year last year.

In Saturday night’s game against Penn, the sophomore’s two second half goals led the Crimson to a 3-0 victory in its Ivy League opener. The first of the goals came off a fortuitous ricochet as the forward sprinted through the center of the Penn’s defense. Attempting to stop Purce’s threatening advance, one of Penn’s central defenders stepped into the ball for a tackle. This, however, drastically backfired, sending the ball right back into Purce’s stride and then soaring over the Quaker keeper.

With just over 15 minutes left in the game, Purce bagged another goal, the Crimson’s third, to seal the win over last season’s Ivy League runner ups. Purce was named Ivy League Player of the Week for her performance.

Joey Colton, Men’s Water Polo

Colton put in four standout performances over the weekend as the Crimson took on Brown, Fordham, Iona and St. Francis at Blodgett Pool on Saturday.

Despite splitting the results over weekend, with the losses coming to  Brown and St. Francis and victories to Fordham and Iona, Colton led the team with 12 goals. The sophomore, who led the team in assists last year and contributed with several more over the weekend, was the Crimson’s main offensive threat -- his attacking versatility evident not only by the quantity of goals, but also by their quality.

Highlights included long, powerful shots that skipped off the water and into the goal, and a lob over the Brown goalie that found its way int the far corner of the net.

FootballWomen's SoccerMen's Water Polo