Making The Grade

Making It Work

April 26, 2021

Although much has changed since Covid-19 took over our world, even more has stayed the same. Absent from headlines, applications, bills, and deadlines still come due and our meritocratic machine churns forever on. And current Harvard seniors are now faced with the task of transitioning out of their undergraduate years into a job market and graduate school landscape marred by change and uncertainty.

Read more

Making An Impression

April 13, 2021

Yet, when I opened my application portal and discovered my acceptance, for the first time in years, I wasn’t worried. Unlike thousands of others, I wasn’t left wondering what went wrong or how I could have been a better applicant, a better student, or just simply better. I felt perfectly lucky.

Read more

The “Perfect” Problem

March 29, 2021

My heart is racing as I stay up past what should be my bedtime staring blankly at the screen, scared to make one wrong stroke on my keyboard out of fear of blemishing what must be a “perfect” piece of writing. I’m awake late, but I’m not tired. The determination and willpower that keeps perfectionists like me up doing a fourth round of edits on our English essays or committing the last chapter of a biology textbook to memory, into the morning’s early hours, makes the effects of caffeine and study drugs seem mild in comparison.

Read more

Making Progress

March 17, 2021

While the courts have decided in Harvard’s favor so far, the public debate surrounding affirmative action is nowhere near over. What does affirmative action mean for the students who actually occupy the identities under discussion? How do students think about their many identities as former applicants, but also as stakeholders in the Harvard community?

Read more

Making the Team

March 01, 2021

Many Harvard students are happy to cheer on professional athletes, or go to Harvard-Yale, but just aren’t convinced that Harvard needs to draw the top student-athletes in addition to prizing young people at the heights of other fields.

Read more