The Low Down on the Bestiary

The Harvard Advocate, the undergraduate literary magazine, just published its Winter 2010 issue, Bestiary. But before you dive into the slick pages (filled with animal parts, dead chickens, and weeds), check out our review. We’ve done some quick and dirty research for your reading pleasure.

Here are seven highlights:

“Attention Chicken!” by Nicholas Lampert

A photo series of a 10-foot sculpture of a dead chicken—beheaded, de-feathered, and cleaned—taken in various public locations. Quite daunting. pp. 76-79.

“The Blood of Birds: Death, Steel, and Cockers" by Kevin Seitz

A sometimes bloody feature about cockfighting and other bestial contests. We raised our eyebrows at this line: “[P]erhaps he could have called upon the careers of George Washington or Thomas Jefferson who once raised cocks.” pp. 44-51.

“In the Animal Shelter” by Amy Hempel

This short, short story comments on women and the adoption of animals. An interesting revelation: "Every time you see a beautiful woman, someone is tired of her, so the men say.” p. 64.

“Untitled (Paper doll)” by Rebecca Lieberman

A digital collage of a woman’s face with her eyes removed and her lips infected with syphilis. Below the portrait, there are three rows of new eyes and lips to choose from.   Reminds you of those dress-your-own-cardboard-cutout dolls, except scarier. p. 87.

“Magic Kingdom Come” by D.A. Powell

“Usually, the days are crowded hot. / The line into tomorrow’s weightless zone / takes considerable agency. Baby strollers bump / against ones anklebone. What a hangover one has.” We feel it too. p. 98.

“People of the Glades” by Rachael Goldberg

Seemingly disjointed but colorful memories about Indians, kissing, and just plain living in the Florida Everglades. Warm winters not included. pp. 120-123.

“When the Bear Came” by Benjamin Percy

An interesting perspective on the battle of man (and woman) versus nature. Don’t be discouraged by its length. With gems like this—“I think that was what bothered me most, the sight of her panties"—it is definitely worth your time. pp. 28-41.

And that's just the beginning. Read the issue to find out for yourself just how beastly it is!

Student Publications

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.