Eleganza Executive Producer Appears in Teen Vogue

•

Angela Su '12, one of three Eleganza executive producers, was recently profiled in Teen Vogue for her work combining fashion and community service. In order to figure out how Su ended up in the pages of the international fashion and lifestyle magazine, we went straight to the source and talked to Su herself.

FlyBy: How did it come about that you were profiled in Teen Vogue?

Su: I read Teen Vogue, and I'm part of their mailing list. They send out e-mails periodically. They have these things called "advertorials," which are basically a cross between an advertisement and an editorial. Basically they send out an e-mail that reads "To the Teen Vogue It Girls: Do you give back to the community? Write your story, and we'll feature you in an issue of Teen Vogue." So, I just sent them an e-mail explaining my involvement with Eleganza, and they published it.

FlyBy: How did you get involved with Eleganza?

Su: My freshman year, I was publicity chair, so I was responsible for making sure that people came to the show and, basically, for raising awareness. I got involved because someone handed me a flyer in front of the Science Center that read "Do you love fashion? Are you interested in fashion? finance? publicity?" I thought that this would be a very good place for me, and, after going to the information session, the message of Eleganza really spoke to me. So, I decided to get involved.

FlyBy: How does Eleganza give back to the community?

Su: All profits from the show are donated to the Center for Teen Empowerment in Boston. Last year, for instance, Eleganza was able to donate $4,500 to the Center.

FlyBy: What fashion advice to you have for fellow undergraduates?

Su: Contrary to popular opinion, fashion is not dead at Harvard. I think that's a perception that needs to be challenged. Besides Eleganza, there are other great fashion organizations on campus: Identities, Project East, and the Vestis Council. There are a lot of different ways to get involved. Like any personal hobby, fashion requires initiative to pursue. At Harvard, it's a little harder to pursue fashion instead of something more traditional. But, at the same time, there are outlets for it, and they're not too hard to find.

FlyBy: Any parting words?

Su: Come to Eleganza on April 24!

Image courtesy of Nina M. Yancy '13.

Student GroupsCollege LifeHarvard in the World

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.