Harvard Today: April 16, 2014

By Y. Kit Wu

Happy Wednesday (or at least as happy as Wednesdays can ever be)! We all know that hump day means “unlimited freedom to complain about anything I want until my friends get sick of me” day, so here are a few you can use this week:

1) Why is the word “finals” very scary all of a sudden, and yet the urge to start catching up on a semester’s worth of readings still hasn’t kicked in?

2) Why was yesterday’s weather closer to one of those portentous signs before an apocalyptic disaster in sci-fi movies rather than reality?

3) Why is everyone counting down to reading period and yet it feels so far away?

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
So the windy and rainy mess from yesterday is gone, and it will be sunny all day today! Unfortunately, the high will only be 45 degrees, so goodbye to summer clothes (again).

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sub
Spicy Tofu with Green Beans
Macaroni and Cheese

Dinner:
Baby Shells with Ham and Peas
Roasted Garlic Chicken
Vegetable Pot Pie with Biscuits

ON FLYBY
1)
Listen Up!: Library Shenanigans, Dean Pfister, and Tutor Troubles - Steven and Dev are back with advice on farting in libraries and getting Dean Pfister’s attention!

2) Inked: Jill Abramson’s Harvard Tattoo - Jill E. Abramson ‘76, the current executive editor of The New York Times, talks about the Crimson Harvard “H” tattoo on her back. Talk about school spirit!

IN THE NEWS
3) Looking Back One Year Later, Harvard Affiliates Prepare to Return to Finish Line- The first installment in a week-long series about Harvard remembering the Boston Marathon Bombings of last year.

4) UC To Ask College To Pay for Summer Storage in Renovated Houses - “Responding to concerns raised by Quincy residents, the Undergraduate Council voted Monday to urge College administrators to cover summer storage costs for undergraduates whose Houses have undergone renovation.”

5) Pershing Square Foundation Gives $17 Million To Fund Human Behavior Initiative- “The Pershing Square Foundation, a family-based philanthropic organization, announced a $17 million gift to the University Monday to fund an interfaculty initiative that will investigate the driving forces of human behavior.”

EVENTS
The OCS is holding an Arts & Humanities Dinner tonight from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at 54 Dunster Street. Hear from professors in VES, Philosophy, HAA, and Slavic Languages and Literatures—plus there will be a free catered dinner!

The OCS is also having a panel on opportunities and careers in financing from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. today. Listen to finance professionals from various fields talk about their experiences!

Women’s Lacrosse is going against BU tonight at 7 p.m. Go Crimson!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Members of the Harvard community add to the remembrance walls outside of Memorial Church on Tuesday afternoon.

Flyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.