How to: Galentine’s Day

By Sophia Salamanca

If choosing the perfect Galentines (or Palentines) hangout has you stressed, fret not! I'm here to sprinkle some inspiration for those of you who love planning get-togethers but don’t have time to scroll through Pinterest.

Unleash Your Inner Picasso

Gather empty wine bottles (for legal purposes, Flyby does not condone excessive or underage drinking) and paint cute designs on them. We believe in sustainability, and what better way is there to reuse empty wine bottles than hosting paint night and using them as dorm decor or flower vases? Other options include painting on wine glasses, tote bags, or the classic canvas.

Redefining ‘You Belong In the Kitchen’

Who says the kitchen is just for those who know how to cook? You can buy premade cookie dough, throw it in the oven, and have a cookie decorating session. An alternative is melting chocolate and making chocolate-covered strawberries.

And for those who secretly channel Gordon Ramsay in their dreams (minus the colorful language, perhaps), heart-shaped pizzas are perfect for you. Show off your dough-tossing skills with all the confidence of someone who's watched one too many TikTok tutorials.

If you’re not much of a cook, worry not; you can just stuff your face as your friends cook.

Glitz, Glam, and Gals

Embrace the spirit of celebration without the hassle of cooking by opting for a night out. Gather your friends for an evening at a restaurant, dressing in your finest to match the occasion. Or, if you are on a budget, bring the fine dining to your common room (or rent a room in your House!) with your favorite takeout. Pizza (a couple of chains offer heart-shaped pizzas), sushi, or whatever you prefer — transform your living space into a dining haven. The essence of this gathering? It's all about enjoying each other's company, eating good food, and making memories draped in glitz, glam, and the undeniable warmth of friendship.

Compliments and Giggles

If you want something more wholesome, consider having a ‘Secret Cupid Exchange’ similar to Secret Santa; pick a name, and shop for your person. The gift could consist of anything from snacks, a bouquet of flowers, or a cute letter. You decide the budget. Another idea is a compliment circle; gather and eat snacks while you shower each other with genuine compliments.

If you want a night full of laughter, craft dating profiles for each other and make these as funny as possible. You can also fill out ~the not-to-be-mentioned Harvard-specific friend/love survey~ and laugh at each other's red flags. If you're understandably afraid of matching with your opps on campus, you can find compatibility quizzes online and take them (though the survey does allow you to block specific people).

Cinema Sweethearts

Last but not least, it's an all-time classic. Host a movie night for your friends to watch romcoms and fantasize about one another’s love lives. You can also watch cheesy rom-coms and make fun of the characters. Don't forget the popcorn and snacks!

Whatever you decide to do, no matter how planned out or last minute, I know you will have a great time! So here's to the memories you'll make, the laughs you'll share, and the friendship that turns Harvard into more than just a place of learning. Have a Galentines full of love, laughter, and snacks <3

Flyby BlogHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.