Harvard Hacks: The Panini Press

•
By Sophia Salamanca

Lunchtime is a sacred ritual for many Harvard students (if it fits into your schedule, at least). It’s the only time of the day when you can enjoy the wonders of the sandwich station and the panini press, the most advanced piece of technology on campus. You can create your own masterpiece with endless combinations of bread, cheese, meat, veggies, and sauces. The world is your oyster, and you are the master of your fate (for the next three minutes while you wait for your sandwich to be grilled to perfection).

Classic Grilled Cheese

You can never go wrong with a classic grilled cheese sandwich. It’s the ultimate comfort food for when you’re feeling stressed, homesick, or just hungry. All you need is two slices of bread (whole wheat if you’re feeling healthy) and some cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese slices you manage to find). That’s it. Pop it in the panini press, and watch the magic happen. Bonus: If you’re lucky enough to find some tomato or minestrone soup at lunch, grab a bowl and dip your sandwich in it. Note: do not try to make grilled cheese in the toaster! It will really mess up the toaster!

A Fancy Caprese

If you want to impress your friends or your crush with your culinary skills, try making a caprese sandwich. It sounds fancy, but it’s actually pretty easy. Just get some tomato, pesto, and mozzarella cheese, and layer them on your bread of choice. Put it in the panini press, and wait for the cheese to melt and the flavors to blend. Trust me, this one is a winner.

Hummus and Cucumbers

If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try something different and make a hummus and cucumber sandwich. It might sound weird, but it’s actually delicious. I discovered this combo in third grade, and I’ve been hooked ever since. It’s also super quick and easy to make, which is perfect when you’re running late for class. Just spread some hummus on your slice of bread, and add some cucumber slices. Panini press it if you desire. That’s it. You’re done.

Disclaimer: you don’t actually need to panini press this one, but this is just a life hack from someone who has a schedule with no time for lunch.

Veggie Overload

If you’re feeling guilty for not having touched a vegetable or fruit in weeks, you can make up for it by making a veggie overload sandwich. It’s exactly what it sounds like: a sandwich with as many vegetables as you can fit. You can add cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pickle, onion, and anything else you can find at the sandwich station. Adding a protein like turkey or ham to your sandwich can top things off. For the finishing touches — you can sauce up your sandwich however you want — mayo and ketchup are always great options. It’s super healthy and nutritious, and it will make you feel good about yourself. Especially when you are running on four hours of sleep and sheer willpower to make it through two back-to-back lab sections (#premed).

Panini Pressing Questions (haha get it?)

But does any of this matter when half the time my sandwich gets fused to the paper? Never fear, Flyby can help you solve that problem too, sparing you from any paper-in-your-mouth-related travesties. Here are a few of our suggestions:

1. You can steal butter from the bagel/toaster area and spread it on the outside of the bread before adding the panini paper. (I believe this is the most efficient method.)

2. Alternatively, you can place your sandwich in the panini press with only dry ingredients (protein, cheeses, most vegetables) first and then add the rest of your toppings afterward.

3. Another method that has been suggested to me is toasting the bread first and then using the panini press, but frankly, I lack the time and patience to do that.

There are so many different ways to make your own sandwich and thus avoid the main lunch offerings (like grape pizza or Beef ForTaco). The possibilities are endless, so don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things. Just make sure you don’t go to Berg between 11:45 to 12:00 p.m. because that’s when I’ll be using the panini press.

Flyby BlogFlyby FrontHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.