ElBaradei Expresses Hope for Nuclear-Free World

ElBaradei calls for peace and diplomacy instead of war

By Thomas J. Hwang, Contributing Writer

Former Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency Mohamed ElBaradei expressed hope for a world free from nuclear weapons, speaking before a full house at the Institute of Politics yesterday evening.

ElBaradei, who is the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, said that a new global security system must be founded on “peace rather than war,” calling the latter “a curse which indicates the failure of human beings.”

ElBaradei recounted his time at the IAEA, during which he oversaw some of the most pressing and intractable issues in nuclear weapons control in Iraq, Iran, and North Korea, and persistently advocated a policy of diplomacy instead of war.

In discussing Iran’s nuclear developments, ElBaradei said he remains hopeful that the country will reach a deal with Western countries through bilateral negotiations, and commended President Obama for seeking to “engage Iran without preconditions and with respect.” He cautioned against sanctions, which he said served more as “acts of desperation.”

ElBaradei also addressed positive new developments in arms control, particularly Obama’s recent weapons control agreement with Russia. But he expressed worries regarding the unsustainable status quo and the “deadly combination of extremism” in the Middle East.

“The Arab world is disintegrating,” he said.

ElBaradei also called on his home country of Egypt to “move beyond an authoritarian system to a democracy, empowering people and restoring basic freedoms.”

Rumors of his possible candidacy for the Egyptian presidency loomed over last night’s event.

When asked whether he saw himself as the next president of Egypt, ElBaradei did not rule out running for office, saying that the election was less of a “priority” than serving as an “agent of change.”

Harvard Kennedy School Professor Graham T. Allison ’62, who moderated the event, called ElBaradei “one the genuinely great leaders of his generation,” encouraging students in the audience to learn from [ElBaradei’s] courage.

Several students in attendance praised ElBaradei’s frankness.

“What we need today is renewed dialogue between the Western and Arab worlds, particularly in the realm of nuclear weapons,” said graduate student Carlos A. Blanco.

“As an Arab-American, I was particularly excited to hear what Mr. ElBaradei had to say,” said Rimal A. Kacem ’10, co-president of the Harvard Society of Arab Students. “I hope there are more events in the University on intercultural dialogue.”

IOP