'Get Close' Review: Ari Lennox’s Voice Shines In Spite of A Forgettable Single

3 Stars

Cover Artwork for "Get Close" released Nov.17.
Cover Artwork for "Get Close" released Nov.17. By Courtesy of Ari Lennox / Interscope Records
By Elizabeth E. Choi, Crimson Staff Writer

On her latest single, “Get Close,” her first solo release of this year, R&B singer Ari Lennox displays her soulful vocals but otherwise disappoints.

After a period of relative inactivity, Lennox released her newest single Nov. 17. While it remains uncertain whether this means her third album is arriving soon, her latest track is a reminder to listeners that casual listeners and fans alike should not forget about Lennox.

The song opens with Lennox’s crooning voice against light instrumentals before the beat drops and she delves into her longing for intimacy. Despite the relaxed way she sings the first verse, which references her romantic relationship in New York, the verse is so short and insubstantial that Lennox seems to hurry toward[S] the chorus. This rush perhaps emphasizes the immediate need for her lover to “get close,” but the groovy chorus does not compensate for the song’s bland beginning. While the repetitive hook is easy on the ears, with only five distinct words — “Get close / Need you close / So close” — The chorus is lyrically shallow and melodically uninteresting.

The second verse elaborates on the nature of the singer’s love affair, revealing complexities such as disagreements between the two — “You like Tupac, I like Janet / So damn stubborn, I won't have it” — as well as the couple’s spontaneity — “Take a road trip, screw the planning.” However, the song does not explore how these insights shape the dynamics of the relationship and its emotional impact, and it instead returns to the chorus.

There was a chance for the bridge to uncover different dimensions of the relationship, but it only employs vague similes and imagery that lack depth. The bridge fails to add intrigue and is repetitive both in the lyrics and in the tune.

“Get Close” is not an unpleasant listen by any means — Lennox’s skill as a vocalist and the laid-back beat unite to create a smooth, sensual song. If the goal for her single was for it to simply be enjoyable and catchy, Lennox has accomplished it; however, there is nothing unique or meaningful about “Get Close,” leaving listeners yearning for something more.

MusicArts