‘Clarity’ Single Review: Notes on Introspection and Living From 24kGoldn

4 Stars

24kGoldn released "Clarity" on Feb. 2, 2024.
24kGoldn released "Clarity" on Feb. 2, 2024. By Courtesy of Jordan White/RECORDS, LLC
By Emily L. Xing, Contributing Writer

Love, drugs, money — when did we grow up so fast? “Clarity,” a new single by 24kGoldn released two weeks ago, is a beautifully authentic testament to the pain and bliss of adulthood. After a two-year hiatus, the artist behind chart-topping track “Mood (feat. iann dior)” has returned yet again with a piece laced with introspection.

“Clarity” is at times upbeat and hurried, at times mellow and deep, but completely universal and relatable. The track begins with an explanation: 24kGoldn is “done with all [his] vices,” avoiding the “ass” and “shrooms” and “booze” that cloud his titular clarity on life. His confession is backed with beautifully grounded synths that compound in layers until suddenly, the melodic world of “Clarity” ascends into a fast-paced, light-hearted chorus. In a world of temptations and material, 24kGoldn has been trying “to keep [his] heart pure” and search for truth. His voice brims with nostalgia, desperation, hope, and uncertainty, floating between a blissful childhood and grounded reality.

In the second verse, 24kGoldn makes peace with the hardships of adulthood. He acknowledges his flaws and impatience, admitting he “got distracted by the bag, wasn’t worth it.” While the instrumental returns to bass tones, the dance-step percussion and quick staccato beats create a newfound sense of optimism. With ethereal backtrack vocals and strings, the pre-chorus once again builds up to music greater than Earth itself. As with much of 24kGoldn’s music, “Clarity” doesn’t have a bridge — although the bittersweetness of “Mood” or “Coco (feat. DaBaby)” may have made beneficial additions, the track feels much less aggressive and deeper than any of his previous releases.

“Clarity” is the perfect listen for anyone whose life is going by too fast right now. It rejects living in ignorance, no matter how hard it might be, because it is the world’s beautiful imperfections that define our human experience.

MusicArts