‘Don’t Forget Me’ Single Review: Love and Longing for Youth

4 Stars

Maggie Rogers released "Don't Forget Me" on Feb. 8.
Maggie Rogers released "Don't Forget Me" on Feb. 8. By Courtesy of Maggie Rogers / Capitol Records

Maggie Rogers’s new single, “Don’t Forget Me,” is a bittersweet anthem of longing. The song reconciles a desire for security and love with a rejection of the pressures associated with adult relationships. “Don’t Forget Me,” strangely familiar, elicits a sense of nostalgia in the listener, whether because of its slow, stripped instrumentals or the relatability of its message.

The track starts with a swaying guitar and piano beat as the lyrics confess, “My friend Sally’s getting married / And to me, that sounds so scary.” Rogers, at 29 years old, introduces the internal struggle at the heart of the song: While the people around her move to the next stages of their lives and romantic relationships, Rogers still struggles to confront adulthood. She fears this next chapter of her life, feeling unprepared for the prospect of long-term commitment.

As the vocals swell and the chord progression builds, the lyrics of the chorus complement the rush of emotion that the music evokes. Rogers begs, “So close the door and change the channel / Give me something I can handle / A good lover or someone that’s nice to me.” By expressing her desire to revert to something familiar, Rogers depicts the discomfort that comes with the pressures of growing older. At an age muddled with expectations like marriage and family, she reminisces about a simpler, carefree time. All she wants is “a good lover,” separated from burdens of a long-term relationship.

These challenges come to a head in the refrain, in which Rogers makes one request: “Don’t forget me.” The line has a child-like appeal, asking for remembrance as Rogers reveals her vulnerability. Rogers sings “don’t forget me” twice, yet the second time is softer and sadder in comparison to the soaring vocals of the first. This tonal change places the listener in the shoes of someone who is walking away from her, hearing her pleas diminish in volume as the distance grows. Rogers projects her fear of isolation onto the audience, positioning them in a place where they, too, could leave her behind. The skillful manipulation of sound and lyric exemplifies Rogers’ developing artistic style. Straying from the high-energy, pronounced instrumentals of her last studio album, “Surrender,” “Don’t Forget Me” shows a development in Rogers’ maturity, as she relies less on flashy beats and more on a nuanced wielding of sound and lyric.

Despite the deprecating nature of the lyrics — “Take my money, wreck my Sundays / Love me ‘til your next somebody” — the instrumentation remains a nonchalant combination of strumming guitar and piano. The incongruence between the intensity of Rogers’ lyrics and the simultaneous mildness of sound seem to reflect her attempt to forgive herself in the midst of this struggle, recognizing that the tension she feels isn’t sensationalized or abnormal. Rather, it’s a natural byproduct of growing up. While the artistic deliberation behind the song is clear, “Don’t Forget Me” does not take the spotlight in Rogers’ discography. Whereas her earlier tracks, like “Alaska,” are hopeful and rejuvenating, the calmer, less-produced nature of “Don’t Forget Me” makes the song underwhelming. Yet, simultaneously, Rogers’ transition into a slower, deeper era of music also represents a return to her roots. Originally from rural Maryland and having started her musical career on the banjo, the simplicity of the instrumentals reflect a sense of reconnection with her musical heritage.

“Don’t Forget Me” isn’t a dramatic rejection of adulthood. The song — raw, honest, and sad — is a slow, danceable track in which Rogers conveys the ebbs and flows of her everyday life. As the instrumentals fall away in the bridge, leaving the lyrics “Just for me / Oh just for me” to stand on their own, it feels as if Rogers has accepted loneliness as a part of the progression of life.

In a pop music scene of upbeat, overproduced songs, “Don’t Forget Me” is not an outstanding, chart-topping track. In many ways, it feels as though Rogers wrote the song for her fans: deeply personal and under-embellished, “Don’t Forget Me” is an honest reflection of growing older with which her listeners can resonate deeply. Ultimately, the track signals a new era of Rogers. As she grows older and faces the challenges of adulthood, she seeks a return to the folksy, natural musical beat at the heart of her musical career. Nonetheless, like much of Rogers’s discography, “Don’t Forget Me” is still a journey of healing and acceptance, with Rogers leading the way.

MusicArts