Crimson staff writer

Omar Abdel Haq

Crimson staff writer Omar Abdel Haq can be reached at omar.abdelhaq@thecrimson.com.

Latest Content

Ed Now 9/22
Higher Education

Education Experts Discuss Strategies to Improve Individualized Learning

Education experts at the Harvard Graduate School of Education discussed the importance of rebuilding the education system to improve socioemotional learning and accommodate students of different socioeconomic backgrounds in a Wednesday webinar.

Ed Now 9/22
None

Ed Now 9/22

HGSE Schools Event
None

HGSE Schools Event

The latest iteration of HGSE’s recurring webinar series “Education Now” on Wednesday focused on critical steps to successful school reopenings during the pandemic.

HGSE Schools Event
Ed School

Harvard Experts Outline Critical Steps for School Reopenings at HGSE Event

Experts from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Harvard School of Public Health said in a Wednesday event that Covid-safe school infrastructure and individual student support systems are critical to successful school reopenings during the pandemic.

Harvard Square Reopening
Harvard Square

As Massachusetts Reopens, Harvard Square Businesses Regain Lost Momentum

After a year of uncertainty, Harvard Square business owners are looking forward to welcoming more tourists and students to the Square in the next few months, now that Covid-19 vaccines are readily available in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Graduate School of Education
Ed School

As Massachusetts High Schoolers Return to In-Person Instruction, HGSE Experts See Challenges Ahead

Massachusetts students in lower grades returned to school buildings in early April, and middle school students followed suit a few weeks later. With the return of high school students on May 17, The Crimson interviewed multiple HGSE professors to understand the difficulties posed by the transition.

Longfellow Hall
Ed School

Harvard Graduate School of Education Releases Its First Early Literacy Mobile Apps

The Harvard Graduate School of Education released three new early literacy apps targeted at parents, caregivers and children last week, marking the first time HGSE has developed mobile apps for public use.

HGSE Education Now: Innovations in Global Education
None

Four members of the Council of Luminaries, a group of top education researchers, spoke at a Friday event held by the Harvard Graduate School of Education.

Ed School

Education Leaders Speak on Future of Global Schooling, Technology in HGSE Webinar

Civic and education leaders from around the world spoke on the future of education in technology in a Harvard Graduate School of Education webinar Friday.

HGSE Ed Now Anti-Racism Photo
HGSE

Mass. Education Leaders Discuss How to Foster Anti-Racism in Schools During HGSE Panel

A panel of education leaders discussed strategies to combat racism in school classrooms during a Harvard Graduate School of Education webinar Wednesday.

HGSE Ed Now Anti-Racism Photo
None

HGSE Ed Now Anti-Racism Photo

Clockwise from top left, Brookline High School teacher J. Malcolm Cawthorne, HGSE senior lecturer Jennifer P. Cheatham, journalist and radio producer Heidi Shin, and HGSE Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Tracie D. Jones discuss confronting racism in the school classroom during an HGSE webinar on Wednesday.

Harvard Graduate School of Education Gutman Library
Faculty

Graduate School of Education Increases Focus on Diversity and Inclusion, Admin Says

HGSE will expand its work on diversity and inclusion through intentional hiring and planning in its summer programming, HGSE Dean Bridget Terry Long and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Director Tracie D. Jones said.

Bridget Terry Long
Ed School

Graduate School of Education Plans to Reopen Campus in Fall, Resume Doctoral Admissions, Dean Says

The Harvard Graduate School of Education is “prioritizing” reopening its campus in the fall and plans to resume accepting applications to its doctoral program, HGSE Dean Bridget Terry Long said in an interview Monday.

ARM Online Education
Higher Education

As K-12 School Reopenings Continue, Educators Urge Reform to In-Person Education System

Over a year has passed since that initial transition, and experts in education policy, administration, and public health say the new challenge is safely shepherding students back into classrooms — and making the most of this pivotal moment.

Race

HGSE Alumni of Color Discuss Education and Racial Inequities at Annual Conference

Harvard Graduate School of Education alumni and students discussed education’s intersection with racial inequality and socioeconomic disparities at a conference Saturday.